Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I Just Floored It

Today's mission for @WillRunzForFun: complete a 6 mile Maintenance Run.

When I left the house, I decided to take the same route as last week's 6 mile run so I'd know exactly how far I ran. Since the footpod wouldn't register my speed & distance, I just floored it. I know I pissed off the dog; she acted like she wanted me to slow down a few times. I just kept running periodically assuming I was running too slow. Since I've been running without music the past 2 months, I'm able to keep a good pace while listening to the rhythm of my footsteps (I count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and repeat).

At the 3 mile mark, I knew I was on pace to average about 8 minutes/mile for the run. I finished with an 8:08 minute/mile pace which was very good for me on a 6 mile run. I didn't look at my watch more than a few times because I knew I wouldn't see the distance and that would make me more angry.

I saw that group of people sitting on the park benches at Millenium Park. Seems like they were a part of a study group...perhaps Bible study or school.

I have got to get my HRM watch fixed! For the past 3 runs, my footpod has gone in and out which adversely affected my distance, pace and speed measurements. Usually when this happens a new battery fixes the problem. I replaced the battery on the footpod a few days ago and a month before that and still the watch can not keep a good connection with the footpod. I'm neither ready to buy a new footpod or a new HRM. I checked on the prices of the Garmin Forerunner 405 (the HRM watch I'd buy next) and it's still out of my range - from $265 - $350 on Amazon.com. Oh well, I guess I'll go to plan "B" - re-run paths of known distance.

I'm ready for Thursday's 5 mile Fartlek Run...
__________
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment