Wednesday, August 19, 2009

MO Hills Last Week = Easier Runs This Week

MO Hills
Last week I ran through the hills of Missouri.  The family and I vacationed right outside of St. Louis and visited all but one of my siblings.  My intention wasn't to tackle a lot of hills, but it's interesting that it worked out that way. 

I started out Saturday doing a 9 mile Long Run  that the toughest run I'd had in a long while, at least that's what I thought at the time.  The first 4 miles were not bad: a few up and down hills and then a big descent.  Just after the 4 mile mark, the sun was glaring and I had another ascent of about 100 feet which didn't seem like much.  But, when I got to the top of the hill, it was "stop city" for me!  I ran into the nearest gas station, bought a sports drink and waited a few minutes before returning to my brother's house.  When I finished the run, I was spent...big time!

The 4 Easy Runs that week all started easy, but were a test for me on the back half.  I'm just thankful I finished all of the runs last week.

On my last day in Missouri, I ran a 10.25 mile route.  This time I was better prepared for the hills and the heat that we don't usually get in northern IL.  There was one big ascent just before I hit the 5 mile mark.  But, I sucked it up and coasted home.

Week 34
With all of the fun runs last week, I have an easy week: 3 easy 5 mile runs and then a 9 mile Long Run this weekend.  I've already planned the location for the 9 mile Long Run a few miles south of my house. Ideally this will be a 10 mile run with some hills, so prayers are welcomed! 

When I finished this morning's 5 mile Easy Run, I noticed that my average heart rate was exceptionally lower as compared to comparable runs.  I guess the hill runs have really helped increase my endurance!

Goals
I'm up to 70 miles for the month of August.  It looks like 100 miles this month is very doable.  The entry form for my next planned half marathon arrived today.  Now I just need to find the time to complete the form and mail it back to the Calumet City Park District.

__________
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment