Monday, June 22, 2009

Here Comes The Heat

It's the beginning of the week and Mother Nature is making it clear this will be the hottest week of the year so far. The temperature started to rise on Saturday and with the rain the night before it was quite humid. I got out for my usual end-of-the-week Long Run a bit later than planned (I wanted to hit the road by 6am although I procrastinated for an hour!) I headed in the opposite direction for my long run this time to mix things up a bit. The idea of running more than 8 miles came and went as the sun beat down on my head after mile 4.

I finished strong and vowed to get my rear-end out of bed earlier on my long run days. The fact that I spent 9 hours grilling for my wife's graduation party made the day fun and extremely draining for me. Oh, I was also surprised to learn that both air conditioning units are blowing warm air. My prayer is that they need to be recharged and not replaced. Needless to say, the remainder of the day was hot, hot, hot!

At about 4:30am today, I heard thunder and watched lightening light up the sky. I just knew one of the kids would come running in the room, but that didn't happen thankfully. My wife reminded me that the windows needed to be closed, so I jumped out of bed and spent the next 10 minutes closing windows. That being said, I knew I'd get no sleep the next 30 minutes or so. I should have just gotten out of bed but it rained pretty hard until 5:15am or so. The good news was that the rain stopped long enough for me to get in a good Tempo Run. I ran a little slower than what I'd hoped. For my next run, I think I'll wear a short-sleeved shirt. It's just too hot for Under Armour Heat Gear these days!!!

Summary
Last week @WillRunzForFun ran 22 miles in 3:05:36. I averaged 5.5 miles per run and held an 8:23 minute/mile average pace for the week. That allowed me to burn almost 3000 Kcal:

Total Time Avg Time Max BPM Avg BPM Avg BMI Total Dist. (miles) Avg Dist. (miles)
0:42:05 0:42:05 164.0 150.0 24.8 5.0 5.0







Total Kcal Burned Avg Kcal Burned Max Pace Avg Pace Max Speed (mph) Avg Speed (mph) Total Workouts
637.4 637.4 7:25 8:25 8.1 7.1 1.0


Week 26 Runs
It's summer now which means it will only get hotter. I'll keep the same type of runs but I must dress cooler:
  1. Monday - Tempo Run / 5 miles
  2. Wednesday - Maintenance Run / 6 miles
  3. Thursday - Fartlek Run / 5 miles
  4. Saturday - Long Run / 8 miles
Tuesday and Friday will be running rest days. I have another busy week: a 4 hour meeting on Monday, practice on Tuesday and Wednesday, a baseball team party Wednesday night, nieces in town on Friday and a softball tournament Friday through Sunday, I can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monthly Goals
I've run more than 74 miles through the month of June. Since I got a new battery for my Polar RS-200, I've noticed that I run a bit slower. That may be due to the heat or it may be due to inaccurate readings from the previous battery. This week I will do another 24 miles which will put me over 100 miles for the month.
__________
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed!


0 comments:

Post a Comment