Monday, May 25, 2009

The Science of Running

For the past few weeks @WillRunzForFun has experimented with his running program. I've been working with my dog, Isis, who is now able to run up to 6 miles in one day. It took much practice for both of us: she had to get up her endurance and I needed to understand her body language, i.e., when she needed to stop, slow down, or just not run. We are now able to run 4-5 times per week together which keeps Isis well exercised.

I've also experimented with early morning runs again - as early as 5:50 am. I am typically up by 5:30 am and out the door by 6 am with the dog. Since I have a new work assignment, the goal is to have a consistent running schedule for my sake and for the dog's. Last week we ran 5 consecutive weekdays; next week we will rest on Wednesday and add a Sunday run.

Next Week's Runs

Last week we ran 21 miles with an average heart rate of 150 bpm and an average pace of 8:39 minutes/mile. Here's next week's schedule:
  1. Monday - Easy Run / 3 miles
  2. Tuesday - Easy Run / 4 miles
  3. Thursday - Easy Run / 4 miles
  4. Friday - Long Run / 7 miles
  5. Sunday - Easy Run / 4 miles
Wednesday and Saturday will be rest days to give my body an early rest and prepare for a long run.

Monthly Goals
I've run about 55 miles going into this week and target 75-80 miles for the month. To my surprise, my feet or legs do not hurt even though I desperately need a new pair of running shoes. I plan to buy new shoes in the next month or so. I'd like to get a pair of orange and blue shoes. Haven't narrowed down a brand yet!
__________
If you enjoyed this post, please subscribe to my RSS feed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment