Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Reclaim Your Abs!

Every year I create at least several goals in 4 different categories: Spiritual, Personal, Family, and Professional. For the past two years, I have had a personal exercise goal to maintain a "healthy" BMI and to exercise at least 4 times per week. This year I decided to beef up my exercise goal. In addition to the usual goals, I am reclaiming my abs!

The Plan
I know what has to be done: sit-ups and/or crunches are in my cites. I despise sit-ups and traditional (upper body) crunches, especially sit-ups because they put more strain on my lower back. After hearing about Steve Speirs' Two Hundred Sit-up Challenge, I accepted the challenge and have integrated upper body crunches into my routine. What has really helped my abs thus far are my weekly push-ups. When performed correctly, push-ups can strengthen the abs tremndously. I have been very pleased with the results of the crunches and push-ups.

The Results Are In!
The other day I put on a pair of jeans I bought a year ago. Although I dropped a size last year, it was a bit of surprise to see the jeans were at least 2 or 3 sizes too big! I guess you could say the crunches and push-ups are working. During last year's physical, my doctor told me, "Your health is great. Just keep doing what you do!"


A Slight Adustment
So, what's next? Well, what I really need now is a way to tighten my lower abs. Upper body crunches and push-ups are great but mostly affect the upper abs. My next goal will be to incorporate lower ab exercises. Once I start working the lower abs, I'll focus on push-ups to for upper ab work.

It will not be long before I completely reclaim my abs. The exercise results are impressive thus far. And best of all, my kids will no longer be able to talk about that bowl of jelly on my stomach!

0 comments:

Post a Comment